Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Small Victory.....


Our battle to keep our backyard chickens continues. We meet with Town Council on June 21. I've never been to a council meeting before so I have no idea what to expect or even how to open such a conversation. I suppose throwing myself at the mercy of the council would be too dramatic?? LOL In other news.....A small victory has been won, as on June 13 it was official that Quinte West has approved Backyard chickens and is amending zoning to accommodate the maintenance of a small backyard flock!!!!! YAY!! This couldn't have come at a better time.

Council has given us 2 days to collect our petition signatures but even in such a short time we're seen great support. Surprisingly we got many of the names from the surrounding businesses just by canvassing yesterday. Many comments were......with the price of food and the fear of what they put in our food.....YOU BETCHA!!!

I've considered selling knitted chickens for people to buy in support of the chickens. LOL Too much?? Over the top do you think?? Kids love them.....I could see the fad catching on.


On the sour note.....why is it certain people are just such a**holes?? When I met at Town Office yesterday I specifically asked what the complaint was about me 'girls'. What was it about the chickens that made a concerned citizen call in with a report. I said....was it noise, smell, fear of illness, too close to property lines.....what?? The Bylaw officer point blank said, Oh there was no specific complaint....just that you had chickens. What motivates people to be so ignorant and miserable?? I guess it only takes one bad apple.....

Anyways, I'm not going to dwell on the ignorance of some insignificant pot stirrer....we are going to bask in the delight of Quinte West's Victory. Congrats to you......and wish us luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment